Sunday, February 25, 2007

Consomme

I just finished a book, Wolves in Chic Clothing, (very funny) about society women in New York. It reminded me of so many times I came across this type while I lived there. The Skinny Girls Rules were invented by these women who think nothing of spending $10,000 on a mid-week-personal-present-recovery-program, shopping spree at Bergdorf’s; some shoes, a few bags, a scarf or two, just odds and ends. Now, one must have a skinny body to justify this interest in high fashion. The rules are Zen strict. You may eat anything lettucey with nothing but lemon on it. Consomme for special occasions. Never touch the food at society benefit dinners. Move it around on the plate and eat the lettuce only. Perrier with lime is favorite drink. That is about it. The question of eating thing like sodas of any kind, diet or not, any peasant foods like sandwiches, ethnic foods, pasta, is frowned upon. To even be in the presence of such food is creepy. These Extremely Skinny Girls always eat before they go out to dinner, order something small and expensive and nibble at the lettuce. Needless to say, they do not take leftovers home. They also eat before going to a dinner party. Sometimes cocktail time can be long. It is not good to drink on an empty stomach and hors d’oeuvres are out of the question. They have personal trainers, a personal gym, and nutritionist/chiefs on call. The demand to fit into designer clothing consumes them. They do not cook. Their food consumption is controlled by the trainer and chief. Heads roll if they gain even a fraction of a pound. (I exaggerate only slightly). See New York Social Diary.

Just to acknowledge the influence of the Extremely Skinny Girls on my approach to eating, I am not going to include foods that are substitutes for foods that are knock offs of high fat foods skinny girls never eat. It is an attitude that is important. Trying to eat the same not so good for you guy foods that have been adapted to be okay is not skinny girl thinking. This is hard ball I know and not for everyone. I believe one's mind set has a lot to do with ones relationship to food. Changing the programming of the mind requires a seismic shift of brain cells.

Last week I went to an Open House Sunday afternoon. I had a “party panic episode” and ate the tiny White Castle like hors d’oeuvres. Sometimes I get freaked out in social situations. Someone I knew was introduced to me and she did not remember that we have meet and even talked before. Granted this is Naples, Florida and most everyone is old as the hills and can’t remember anything. I took it hard and left to attend my 11 year old granddaughter’s birthday party at Cheebuger Cheebuger. I ate a big hamburger with cheese, fries and onion rings and a chocolate milk shake. Anxiety eating. I felt sick. I confessed my lapse at WW yesterday and my Leader gave me sheets to fill out titled Anchoring, Mental Rehearsing, and Positive Self-Talk. Thank you WW.

Consomme
Joy of Cooking 1997, Page 107

Basic Mixed Green Salad
Joy of Cooking 1997, Page 206-207

No comments: