Monday, February 19, 2007

Drink Water

Good meeting Saturday at WW. Told everyone about this new blog. Got lots of great tips, it being tips day:
Here’s one I like. Set monthly goals. What a good idea. Takes the pressure off of the weekly expectations.
Here’s another sign I like, “You never fail unless you give up.”
This is a good one I am considering. Do not eat in front of the TV.
And of course, drink water. (Six glasses each day.)

There was a woman who was most inspiring. She had lost a great deal of weight over a long time. She said to count inches lost not pounds.

The WW meeting I go to is really hopping. A great bunch of women and a few men who are sports.

A new Asian grocery store has opened in my neighborhood. Variety makes meal planning much more fun. I came up with dumplings that are WW friendly. Once again, please note, I am not in any way affiliated with WW and have my own quirky ideas about how to approach food. I am not going to talk about points at all. I have worked out points for myself and am satisfied with my calculations. You should do the same. Otherwise, this is about a lifestyle. It is important to remember that once you get the feel for the points plan and if you know a thing or two about cooking then just take off. If you are not a cook get The Joy of Cooking and learn. For this recipe, in fact, check Joy for dumplings.

Turkey Dumplings & Sweet Potato Chips

Dumpling Wrappers (Shanghai Style)
Two Kirkland Turkey Burger Patties
Two Chinese Eggplants
One Chinese Red Pepper

Crumble and cook turkey in teaspoon olive oil. Add a bit of cumin.
Put turkey aside and in same pan cook peppers, add a dash more olive oil and cook eggplant with peppers.

Put turkey, eggplant, and peppers on one wrapper and wet edges of wrapper very slightly, fold over sealing edges together, form crescent and wet ends to seal together. You’ll get the hang of it after a few tries. A small bowl of water works to dip your fingers in.

Steam for about seven minutes. Serve with Tamari soy sauce (add little lime and water), and Sambal Oelek Ground Fresh Chili Sauce. (Both at Asian grocery.)

Cut sweet potatoes into thin rounds and bake at 400 degrees until crispish. ( This recipe is from WW meeting.) I recommend a non-stick cookie sheet. Salt before serving.

I like a small 8 ¼ inch dark green Japanese plate for serving six dumplings and one sweet potato, as chips. Use chop sticks.

And, a big glass of water.


Note:
Makes approx. 30 dumplings, half of dumpling wrapper package. For another day try just vegetables, or add red cabbage, or lean pork and cabbage, or sprouts and shrimp with lime and small amount of chili paste. You get the idea.

No comments: